Sunday, January 20, 2013

Letter to Dad

Auburn Theological Seminary

Auburn, N. Y.

Feb. 14, 1888

Dear Father:-

I am aware that I have neglected writing to you for a long time. Before I
commenced preaching I used to have a leasure (sic) hour occasionally or a whole
evening in which there was nothing particular to do. But it is not so now. Every
minute is occupied. And while I am studying here it makes me exceedingly busy.
I was just about to retire, but thought of you, and so concluded to write a few lines
first.

For the past three weeks I have been in Genoa all the time, holding meetings
every evening. The meetings were unusually good. They have not had such an
interest there before for some time. One evening, at my request, all the business
places and even the drug store and saloon (at the hotel) closed up and all hands
came out to meeting. I think that there have been between twenty and thirty
conversions. The Church is thoroughly revived and much encouraged.

I often wish, Father, that you might have this same hope which so many
have recently found. Some who before were “good moral men” are now rejoicing
in Christ.

I think we are all well now, though Sophie and the boy have been having
hard colds. I expect a donation before long but I afraid they will put it off until the
weather breaks up.

Our potatoes and apples chilled a bit in the cellar, but I think we have
enough. Have been expecting Fred’s folks, but do not see them yet.

You have a standing invitation to come whenever you can.

Sophie will go out home in about six weeks and stay a month or so.

Now I must retire,

Love to all

John

No comments:

Post a Comment