Monday, January 14, 2013

Rev. John Ames a Witty Wicked and yet so Thin....

John F Ames in 1880's as young man

Rev. John Fremont Ames born May 13,1858


Dear Cousins and Friends....In an effort to get some photo's out to Janice Ames from Iowa...I made a blog for John Ames...I am going to add his story on this blog with letters and photo's that I find over time. This is my own blog and my interpretations of this very moving story of his life. I have spent years off and on collecting and sending out inquiries to know more about him. I will be consulting my husband John Doan for help in telling Rev. Ames story. I would be interested in any other stories or info that others in the family would like to add. It was a long held dream of mine to find John's Great Grandfathers family....I started thinking and praying about it in the 1980's soon after our marriage. The family's had been separated for over 100's years through a tragic death of Rev. Ames. The friendships, new family members and the fun that John and I have received from this journey is priceless. I will share them on the blog over time.
Hope you all enjoy.
Deirdra

"I can't thank Deirdra enough for her persistant 
efforts to make contacts for us through researching 
this family through looking up census information, 
posting inquires on the internet, and making dozens 
of calls and letters to libraries, researchers, museums, 
and cemeteries.  Basically, without her there would 
be nothingto send to no one in particular!
John Doan 8/2/2003






Sophia Augusta Wall Ames

Sophia and John Ames are in the Center standing up. Fordyce Ames and his mother are siting in the middle at family homestead in DeRuyter NY 1990's

The eldest brother came back from the War between the States and was so angry he had another brother...he wanted a girl so....... he refused to have his photo taken with Fred....but his mother Electa Ray Ames did a run around him and cut out the photo below and pasted her little new son into the family photo anyway!

John Ames was a beautiful and intelligent boy. When his mother died when he as 20. He loved her deeply and as a result of her faith he became a Christian and then later studied many year in the ministry. He was a American Baptist preacher. His college class mates in a student magazine called him "Witty, Wicked and yet so thin!" Wicked in those days meant very intelligent. I will post some letter's by him and his story in other posts...

John attended DeRuyter Union School and Academy, graduated Colgate Academy at Hamilton 1882, Madison (now Colgate) University in 1886, graduated Auburn Theological Seminary 1888, graduated Rochester Theological Seminary 1890.

American Baptist - ordained to the Christian ministry December 9, 1886.

No comments:

Post a Comment