Sunday, September 13, 2009



OFFICE OF THE

Cape Vincent Eagle

Warren W. Ames, Publisher

Cape Vincent, N. Y., March 9 187 3

Dear Brothers, Fred and Will.

I have got some news to tell you! We are all well at present. Our writeing school is most out, only three or four more lessons. Prof. J. H. Warren our teacher offered 25 cards with youre name written on them, to the one that would write the best set of captals. Henry Marks and I got them, I will send you one of mine, so that you can see some of his work, he is as I have probly told you before, the best writer in the United States, “I can't begin with him.” perhaps I shall want you to send it back, keep it cleen

Fred you must write next time. I sent you a cupple of coppes of the Childrens Hour when you have red them them pleas send them to 10.ac. I also send you a coppy of the Schoolday Magazine. (keep that.)

Will you speak about not haveing any thing to read. Take the History of the United States and you will find it the most interesting reading you ever red, when you have red it through and can answer all questions tharein let me know it and I will send you reading enough to last a sentury, poste paid. __________

It is quite warm to day, it thawed and rained yesterday, does sap run yet down youre way? . …. …. . . .__ _.. . . . … …. . . .._ ._. . . __ ._ _... . . .._ _ _ . .. .__ . … _.. ._ .. … _.._. Telegraph above can you read it?

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t

._ _... … _.. . ._. __. …. .. _._. _._ _ __ _. ._. ….. .._. … … _

u v w x y z & . ?

.._ …_ .__ ._.. …. …. . ..__.. _.._. This is the telegraph alphebet, lurn it!

Will I cant think of any more to write now, only Whit talks of moveing into a room next of the office then it will be so handy for Ell, she wont have to run to the house every once in 30 minutes to fix the fire. I have not got time to write to you , Mother, for I must write to George to day.

To all of you.

From

John F. Ames

Cape Vincent N. Y.

Mother you need not send me no stockings I have got enough for this Winter



NOTES:


John Ames would be 15 years old in May. He seems to be living in Cape Vincent, going to school there and helping his older brother Whit on his newspaper, the Cape Vincent Eagle, then about one year from its start date.


Sad to say, John got about one third of the Morse Code alphabet wrong.





No comments:

Post a Comment