Sunday, September 13, 2009


Left to right

John Ames, Fred Ames and William Ames

youngest Ames brothers.


This letter was written by 14 year-old John Ames to his eight-year old brother Fred Ames. John seems to have gone to Cape Vincent to work for his brother Whit Ames on his new newspaper the Cape Vincent Eagle.


OFFICE OF THE

Cape Vincent Eagle

W. W. Ames, Proprietor

Cape Vincent, N. Y., July 21 1872

Dear Brother

I supose you are writting to heere from me and so you shall. We are all well at present and and hope that you are sitting in the same saddle It is rainy to day and the weather is cool.

You ought to be up heare and see all the Cherry Trees which are verrey numerous, laidened with their writch and wripened fruit. Mr. Seeleys folks the ones who we hire the house of went to Mr. Irvines (a farmer who lives about 2 miles out) to pick some Cherries and fetched home large pales full (gave us a taste) and were invited to come again. Well Fred how are you on the swim cant swim nor dive yet eh I guess that I have got the start of you fellows I can dive swim on my back or under water) ask Eugene if he can). How does Mark get along. Please send the Visitor up heere and I will send it back again when I have read it.

Ma what is it about cloths I want a new Coat next winter and I dont know but I have got to have pants and vest Them pants Aunt B made are so big I dont want to ware them under a yeare or so And if I have got to have new cloths next winter why not get them now and so have them when I get my picture taken I think that I can get them cheep But it is just as you say if you want me to wate I will.

What is it about Mrs. Phillips Baby Ell wants to know whether it is a girl or a boy and if it is as handsome as its Parents.

We have about all we can do to keep up with the woork. We printed some Circulars for Charlie Corning he is going to have a Select School in Georgetown commencing Aug 20.

I have tried to rite a long letter but I have sliped up on it. I tried my bigest to rite a good one if it is short C ant hink of any more.

So good by Write soon from

J. F. Ames

to

Fred Ames



NOTES:


This letter was written by 14 year-old John Ames to his eight-year old brother Fred Ames. John seems to have gone to Cape Vincent to work for his brother Whit Ames on his new newspaper the Cape Vincent Eagle.


Cape Vincent is a small town on the St. Lawrence River about three miles below Lake Ontario. It had a strong French heritage and in the census of 1870 had a population of about 3,500. Cape Vincent is about 100 miles north of De Ruyter.


Ell who wants to know about Mrs. Phillip’s baby was probably William Elmer Ames, born in 1860 and seventh son of Fordyce and Electa Ames. John, William, and Fred were the three youngest children and brother George, the fifth son, was 18 years old in 1872.

No comments:

Post a Comment